Mac – L2TP Connection
To connect your VPN using L2TP you will need three (3) things. Your Username Password and Shared Secret to the server. Be sure you have this information before proceeding.
1. Go to your System Preferences by clicking on the Apple in the upper left then on System Preferences (Apple>System Preferences).
2. In Systems Preferences click on the Network icon.
3. Click on the Plus in the bottom left corner.
4. In the drop down menu make the selections as seen below and give the connection a name of your choosing then click Create. (for PPTP see the next section for step 4)
5. Here you will fill in the server’s Domain Name (mydomain.com) or IP address and your User Name. Also select the check box to put a shortcut to the VPN in your menu bar. Now click on Authentication Settings…
6. Enter you Password in the password field and your Shared Secrete in the shared secrete field then click OK. (for PPTP see the next section for step 6)
7. Finally click on Apply in the bottom right corner and close the window with the red dot in the upper left.
8. Now on your Tool Bar you will see the icon for the VPN (Pictured below) click on this and select the name of your VPN. The menu will close and you will see a status of "Connecting….Authenticating…." and finally a time clock for a successful connection. To disconnect select your VPN name again and it will disconnect.
9. Once you have your VPN running you can connect to your shared volumes through your shortcuts or via Go > Connect to Server and enter your servers IP address.