Skip to content
HTTP Proxy on Mac
- Download/install the latest version of Firefox for Mac.
- Open Terminal and paste in this command and hit Return: ssh macworks@[server.domain.com] -D 2001
- When Terminal asks for a password enter: [server-password] (Terminal doesn’t show characters as you type. just type the password and hit Return)
- Terminal should show a new line beginning with: [server]:/ [user]$. if you see this you can close Terminal.
- Launch Firefox and open Firefox Preferences
- Navigate Firefox preferences to Advanced > Network > click the Settings button to the right of where it says “Configure how Firefox connects to the Internet”
- Near the top set the blue radio button to “Manual proxy configuraiton”
- in the SOCKS Host field enter: 127.0.0.1
- in the Port field on the same line enter: 2001
- set radio button to SOCKS v4
- click OK
- Go to whatismyip.com and it should report the proxy’s address