Mac OS X
- No extra Server software purchase
- Limited to 10 simultaneously connected file sharing users
- No support for separate user logins – everyone signs in with the same username/password. This means we cannot track/report a user’s access to the server and when someone leaves the company we have to change the password for everyone.
- No support for custom folder permissions. This is an effect of the previous point: if everyone signs in as the same user that means everyone has access to the same files.
Mac OS X Server
- $500 purchase in addition to hardware (for Leopard version to be released in September)
- Unlimited file sharing connections
- Each person has their own username and password: this is more secure
- Can allow/deny specific users access to specific folders